Monday, August 04, 2008

The HIT

Saturday the 26 of July, started off like any other Saturday. We enjoyed a cup of coffee, a quick breakfast while planning our day. We were looking forward to a nice Saturday, purchasing a BBQ, paying the outstanding balance on our sofa and spending a lazy afternoon around the pool.

We couldn't find a BBQ we liked from the 1st shop we went to and decided to meet friends for lunch a Chito's (Chilandak Square), while we were in the area, before heading back to Kemang to pay for the sofa and hopefully pick up a BBQ from the Hiro.

After a great lunch at Mother's Cook we decided to go to Double Decker for a cup of coffee and this is where our perfect Saturday morning was ruined when my handbag was stolen.
I actually still can't believe this. I praise myself as being very careful and alert (sometimes a bit paranoid), especially when it comes to my handbag. I guess this is something you pick up on, living in Johannesburg. You let your guard down and, wham.....

So sadly, this HIT cost us my favorite handbag from Singapore, Approx. $450 (the balance we were planning on paying for our Sofa that day), Ouch!!!!!, mobile phone, SA drivers license, ID book, make-up, sun glasses and some other personal items!

How? We were the only four people in the restaurant; Marc and I were sitting with our backs inside the restaurant, with Armid and Ryan facing us. My handbag was on the floor between our chairs. Not sure when they stole it, or how because they would have had to crawl on the floor or lean over the chair behind me to get to it. We suspect it was an inside job; Coffee was spilt, I had to move my bag from between my feet to next to me...anyway, it probably involved a broom or mop but like Marc says; it was the most expensive magic trick he's ever seen!

We've learnt that this is apparently a problem at Malls around Jakarta and that there is some sort of “handbag thieve” syndicate, so ladies watch your bags and trust no one!

Needless to say our perfect Saturday turned into the worst day of angry tears, phone calls to Banks to cancel cards, mobile company to block the SIM etc.

Armid decided it would be a good idea to invite us over for an evening of pizza and Wii to get our minds off the handbag incident. "Thanks, Armid".

We had a lovely evening playing Wii. I sucked at the athletics but boy was I on fire with the archery. Shooting that bow and arrow definitely did get my mind of the stolen handbag incident even though I have to admit; the reason I was so good at it boys was because I imagined shooting the thieves running away with my handbag ;-0!
I think Marc was also imagining knocking the thieves out, with the boxing game.

On Sunday we decided to do what we were planning on doing on Saturday, paid for the sofa (withdrew cash and went straight to the shop), bought the BBQ, purchased a new mobile and we really enjoyed our steaks but as you can image the topic of conversation the whole day and at least the next two days were about the; if only's, why didnt's, I can't believe's of what we call the HIT.

My mind was clearly elsewhere that weekend, and so was Marc's for not noticing; because to my embarrassment when I took my earrings out later I realized that I had two different colour and style earrings in. LOL ;-0 Now I know why the shop assistants, tellers and even a couple of other woman, standing/walking close enough past me, seem to look at me funny.

1 comment:

westadventure said...

Hello Adele and Marc, sorry to hear about your bag incident, at least it was just a material good and no one was hurt. Lesleigh went on the town with a friend last night and this morning they are jogging back to where they left their cars, had to get a taxi home, happy to see the blog is being updated more regularly it is always good to read the news.