Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Joining the May 2010 parent's club

I am very happy to announce that I am 14 weeks pregnant. In give or take 26 weeks there will be a baby Beuthe in the mix.

We are still trying to imagine our lives with our +1. Although it's pretty daunting, knowing that we will soon be responsible for someone other than our selves we are really excited about becoming parents. We've had 3 months to discuss the anticipated changes in our lives and trying to picture our NEW LIFE with a little baby. I consider the first tri-mester the "prep time". Getting yourself used to the idea and preparing yourself mentally for the life changing experience awaiting the new parents to be. And of course the Morning sickness was a constant reminder of this.
Now that we've entered the second tri-mester and the thought had sunken in and the Morning sickness almost completely worn off the reality is starting to set in.

There is no bump to talk of just yet. But, we imagine that within the next month or so it will become even more real when I start to look pregnant.
Being the impulsive, "if I want something, I want it now kind of person" that I am, I've always thought that 9 months is such a long time have to wait for something. Now I realise that it's all part of the process and I'm truly grateful that we have this time to ease into this new very exciting chapter of our lives.

My take on the "process" - Once you have accepted the facts, there is only 6 months left. And then you realise, in those 6 months you would need to prepare yourself for the arrival and there are a million and 1 questions regarding the delivery (Do we have the baby in Jakarta or in Singapore), putting together a short list of names, not to mention all the concerns about a healthy baby, which you can't wait to confirm with the next appointment with your OBGYN. There is also the exciting part of starting to think about and listing all the things you'll need for the little one. Doing research about which travel system and cot is the best, which monitors are the safest etc. etc. and the TO DO LIST just keeps getting longer.
I imagine in the months to come trips to the shops will become less about what we need and more about what "baby" needs. Instead of shopping for a new dress for myself I imagine standing in front of the onesies, picking out a cute outfit for our little one instead.

And so the count down to parenthood has officially begun...

In between all the baby talk we do have an exciting November and December planned. We are off to Cubadak, Sumatra for Marc's birthday on 26 to 29 November and Bali from the 26 December to the 3rd of January.

Watch this space!

No comments: