Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Getting out of the city for a day - Manchanabele Dam

Kim And Ingo found this oasis only 40km outside of Bangalore and kindly shared their secret with us. Every so often it is necessary to get out of the hustle and the bustle of the city and this is the place to go. What better way to spend a Saturday than fishing, abseiling, hiking, swimming and just lazing around on the lush green grass admiring the picturesque area around the Manchanabele Dam.

That is once you get there though as it takes almost 2hours to travel 40km....Grrrrrr!! It is well worth it and we look forward to our next outing.

The Manchanabele dam is build across the river Arkavathi and the land which it irrigates under a project called "Thore saalu". There are villages on both sides of the river arkavathi. In kannada "thore" means river and "saalu" means line.
Spot the Kenyan!

Like "Dassies" (African Rock Hyrax) on the rocks


Kim, Ingo and I decided to check out the view from the top of a very large boulder.

We made it up.

What goes up must get down. Mmmmmm....

The girls taking a little rest in the sun.

a local herdsman, eyes us with curiosity.

Tanya shading under her umbrella, also ready to shoo away the approaching cow not wanting a repeat of her last cow attack.

Relaxing amongst the very inquisitive bovine.

The Backgammon master at work. Go Kim!!
Hard to believe that this beautiful sanctuary is only 40km outside of the city.
Upside down boats that the locals use for fishing as well as to cross the dam.
Ingo and Marc abseiling.
Marc getting ready to rappel down.
"Now, this is how I like to spend a Saturday afternoon".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
This is Mrinmoy Das. I am an Indian from northern part of the country. I have relocated to Bangalore due to my job. I am currently working for Wipro as a Solution Architect. So being a north India I am as much a foreigner as you.
Anyway I wanted to thank you for the blog about "Manchanabele" It was due to your blog that me and my wife had a great weenend there. Please do keep on writing such blogs. Thanks once again. If you have any more information of such places then please let me know. My mail ID is mrinmoyd@hotmail.com