Saturday, April 18, 2009

In loving memory of my Grandmother

"Ain't life funny"...The past couple of weeks have been so exciting, with the birth of baby Beuthe, Marc and I getting married and celebrating love and life with our friends and family.

There was a sad end to our trip, when my Grandmother, Jacoba Petronella (Kota) Tolken passed away on Friday, 10 April.

As I was contemplating this quirk of fate, I was reminded that, its "the circle of life":

It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle of Life

She was laid to rest on Wednesday, 15 April. And though, death leaves a heartache no one can heal; Love leaves a memory no one can steal.

"Ouma Kota, you'll be missed but you will live forever, in our hearts"!

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.
To a loving Mother, Grandmother and Friend:

If we could bring you back again,
For one more hour or day,
We'd express all our unspoken love;
We'd have countless things to say.
If we could bring you back again,
We'd say we treasured you,
And that your presence in our lives
Meant more than we ever knew.
If we could bring you back again,
To tell you what we should,
You'd know how much we miss you now,
And if we could, we would.

By Joanna Fuchs
My Gran with me and my Aunt Elizabeth (daughter) and my mom (daughter in-law)
For the ones she left behind:
Daughters, Grandchildren, Great-Grandchildren and close friends

Words, however kind can't mend your heartache: but those who care and share your loss wish you comfort and peace of mind. May you find strength in the love of family and in the warm embrace of friends.

1 comment:

Lesleigh said...

This is beautiful my friend, she was blessed to have such a loving and amazing family.