Friday, April 17, 2009

Our Wedding Day

I woke up with a big smile on my face on Saturday morning, 4 April thinking; Today I marry the man of my dreams, Today I marry my friend.... "I am one lucky girl".

Looking at my best friend, Les lying next to me, I also realised how lucky I was having her with me. Thanks so much for taking the time and making the effort to come all the way from Denver, Colorado to share our special day with us. It really means the world to me. You are a great friend and I LOVE YOU with all my heart.

Another reason I felt "lucky" is that unlike most brides that spend a fortune on hair and make-up, my make-up artist sister, Jacqueline did my make-up and my "always has perfect hair" cousin, Amori did my hair.

And as always Jacqueline, you know how to paint a face...thanks sis!

By: Fran Mc Kellar Photography

Amori did such a fabulous job with my hair. Mori, I really think you missed your calling. Well done and thanks a lot, I loved my hair do. Oh, and the glitter finished it off nicely.

By: Fran Mc Kellar Photography

So in between the girl talk and sipping champagne I was slowly titivating myself ready to walk down the aisle at 3pm.

So once the hair and make-up was done, all I needed to do was slip the dress on and run, I mean walk down the aisle....

Well, not without some small wedding hiccups though, right. When the DJ finally arrived an hour before the ceremony was suppose to start. Well, let's just say he did arrive but he was not ALL THERE . First he gave me lip about using my laptop and playing my play lists which is what I agreed with the venue. Lesleigh quickly gave him lip about being so full of LIP and we were finally ready to start the ceremony at about 3:10.

I’m going try and write this without sounding like it was a huge disaster, because even with all the little (ok, they were not so little but they made the wedding) mishaps this was still the best day of my life and I wouldn't change a thing.

As Lesleigh and the flower girls, Anje and Amone made their way down the aisle I realised that the DJ wasn't playing the right song. I figured it's ok, asked them to please just make sure he at least plays the right song when I walk down the aisle. And as we got the cue to start walking, of course it wasn't the right song...anyway.

By: Etienne Bester

As it turns out, the DJ playing the wrong song was not half as noticeable as the maid of honor and almost the bride, walking down the aisle without their bouquets.

Well, as you can imagine, that really broke the ice. The guests packed up laughing as my cousin ran up the aisle followed by my sister with the key to the room.

By: Fran Mc Kellar Photography

Two minutes later bouquet in hand with the right song playing (Only Time by: Enya), my mom finally walked me down the aisle towards my Mr. Right.

By: Fran Mc Kellar Photography

So if you think that was funny, wait...there is more:

And without explaining the pastors sermon or should I say "relationship advice" in detail, let's just say that it was not what we expected. Not at all what you see on TV....

By: Etienne Bester

We were kind of caught by surprise when he said "the bride and groom will now exchange their vows". We looked at each other, the pastor smiled, we laughed nervously, Marc said "are we not following your lead"?, and when the pastor then laughed nervously we knew that we would just have to wing it. And we did. I don't think we did a bad job as there wasn't a dry seat in the house.

Lighting the unity candle...

Kissing the bride...By: Fran Mc Kellar Photography

And the one thing that we did discuss with the pastor was not to forget to say "you may kiss the bride", which he did forget and one of our guest had to remind him.

Presenting: Mr. and Mrs. Beuthe

By: Fran Mc Kellar Photography


So, though it was not a traditional wedding ceremony, it sure was a memorable one and I know that both Marc and I will remember it always, and so will our guests.

After the ceremony we proceeded to cut the cake, followed by the family and group photographs before Marc and I went off to take some bride and groom shots.


The best Made of Honor a bride could ask for. "Thanks for all your help with everything, Les"!
Group shot

Bride and Groom shots by: Fran Mc Kellar PhotographyBy: Lea van Coller


My favourite photo ;-) by: Etienne Bester

Just before 6:00 we entered the reception as Mr. and Mrs. Beuthe and for the rest of the evening our MC, Dean led us through what can only be described as a casual, fun wedding celebration which was exactly what we wanted. The speeches by the best man, groom and my sister were done in between courses and they were short and sweet but meaningful and very special. Good job, guys.

We had guests from near and far (as far as: Germany, London, Dubai and the USA). Thank you to all of you for traveling the distance to share our special day with us.

We did our fist dance at about 8:30, followed by the bouquet and garter toss, which meant there were no more interruptions from about 9:00 and we were able to celebrate and have fun.
By: Fran Mc Kellar Photography
By: Etienne Bester
So now let me get back to the DJ that was NOT all there....

It turns out he was enjoying the open bar too much, and to make a long story short half way through the evening we fired our DJ as he was the one causing unnecessary interruptions.
Luckily the venue did have a good sound system where we plugged my laptop into and the Party continued, until almost 2am.

Misty Valley Lodge was the perfect venue for the casual atmosphere we were after. The set-up was ideal with the small bar area right next to the reception area. It allowed the party animals to dance the night away, while some of the guest enjoy the late evening around the fire.
Thank you to the organisers and our guests for making our wedding day so special!
Check out our wedding website to see more photo's of our special day!
Click on the below link:
Below is the beautiful poem on the wedding program, that might not be very clear:

I love you, not only for what you are
but for what I am when I am with you.
I love you, not only for what you have made of yourself
but for what you are making of me.
I love you for the part of me that you bring out;
I love you for putting your hand into my heaped-up heart
and passing over all the foolish, weak things
that you can’t help dimly seeing there
and for drawing out into the light,
all the beautiful belongings
that no one else had looked quite far enough to find.
I love you because...
you are helping me to make of the lumber of my life
not a tavern but a temple;
Out of works of my every day, not a reproach but a song.
I love you Because…
you have done more than any creed could have done to make me good
and more than any fate could have done to make me happy.
You have done it without a touch, without a word, without a sign.
You have done it by being yourself.

Perhaps that is what being a friend means, after all.

No comments: