Thursday, June 07, 2007

The start of the holiday

What can I say about a 3 week holiday in Europe? Let me think about that for a second....great, absolutely loved it, want to go back!!

I arrived in Frankfurt on the 16th of May. Bernd and Marianne (family friends of Marc's) collected me from the airport and we headed to their home in Bad-Soden Salmunster which is about 60km from the airport. After 7 months of India traffic and very slow speed of a maximum of about 100km per hour, I have to be honest my nerves on the German Autobahn were shot! I guess you could say it was my first (1st World) reality check....No cows, auto's and the fact that I got to sit in the front of the car. Was all very weird, but wonderful at the same time!

There were a few things that I've been thinking of getting, eating and looking forward to dong in Europe. One of them was to eat Landjager (Bavaria Sausage) which Bernd especially stopped to buy me. Bern and Marianne were great hosts and spoilt me with all sorts of food yummy's, "Have a good Europe Holiday" Campaign, chocolate on my pillow, fluffy bath robe you name it. Bernd and Marianne were very worried that I didn't have enough warm clothing, as the weather in Germany on my arrival was said to be miserable. They kindly kitted me out with warm jackets, a hat and even three pairs of closed shoes (Thanks, Marianne!!)

A toast to a good holiday...

Marianne and I spent the next day (a public holiday) walking through the streets of the baroque City of Fulda - window shopping, getting a taste of European prices...Ouch!! We strolled through the beautiful Cathedral and The Palace Residence Gardens.

Look how clean and empty the streets are...

Marianne showing me around Fulda

The next morning I got onto the 8:15 train to Plzen to visit Hayley and Colin for 4 days.

1 comment:

Hayley said...

Hey Adele,
It was fantastic to have you - next time you must just bring Marc along with you!
Hope to see you in the snow in winter with skis on :)
Ciao!